They Didn't Hatch

Thursday, February 24, 2011
This was the week we've been waiting for! Our little chicks should have arrived in the mail today. But they didn't.


The folks over at My Pet Chicken called to let me know that the four breeds we chose didn't all hatch on the same day as they had hoped. (You can read about the breeds we chose and why we chose them here). If we want to wait on the four breeds we picked out, they won't ship until May 2nd. And even that is iffy. We need them much sooner than that so we can have them out of their brooder and into the coop before the scorching summer heat sets in. 


I'm going to call the helpful people at My Pet Chicken tomorrow to see if we can switch our order around a bit so we can get our newest girls in the next couple of weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed because I am so ready for my chick fix!

8 comments:

sara said...

Bummer! I was looking forward to getting my vicarious chick fix!!

Anonymous said...

I hope they have something they can get to you soon! Can't wait!

Veronica K said...

So, Whippy Cake posted your giveaway on their blog and co I came on over because well, my second son's name is FINLEY!!!! So I figured in some way, you and I have to be kindred spirits!!

Love your blog, so glad that they sent me over but now, well you just won't get rid of me!!

Love IT!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I had no idea so much went into chicken breeding! It's really so interesting to learn the bits and pieces about it that you share. One thing is for sure...your next group of girls will be the cleanest chicks on the block!! :-)

Grace said...

The MPC peeps left me a message yesterday saying I would get my chicks either next week or the week of March 28th. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get the four we originally wanted but we're flexible so it should be ok. They had a poor hatch rate with the two ornamentals we chose. And yes Mia, my chicks will have some shiny hineys! ;)

elise said...

i am so jealous that you have chickens! i would love some, but sadly we are a little to 'in town' for that. otherwise i'd have a cow, too! :O)
our milk is delivered by a local dairy company- Oberweis- we really love it- it's not raw, but its gently pasteurized and hormone free- yipee!

Unknown said...

This is really neat. I grew up with chickens...we lived a neighborhood in the city...but we did it anyway! Ha! Love it.

Grace said...

That's awesome, Jennifer! You guys were raising urban chickens before it was hip - trend setters! :)

Post a Comment